Ultimate Animals Quiz
- Question: Though they sound happy, what animal's "laugh" is a reaction to being threatened?
- Answer: Hyenas produce a high-pitched series of short giggle-like sounds when threatened or frustrated. When another clan member tries to steal its food, the pitch of a hyena’s giggle can indicate age and social status.
- Question: Capable of exceeding 186 miles per hour, what is the fastest creature in the animal kingdom?
- Answer: Peregrine falcons catch their prey by flying high and diving down at incredible speeds. Cheetahs, by comparison, can sprint about 71 miles per hour.
- Question: Known for its intelligence, which dog breed has been found capable of understanding more than a thousand words?
- Answer: A South Carolina Border Collie named Chaser earned worldwide fame for being able to recognize and react to 1,022 different nouns.
- Question: Which animal species can live in extremes of both heat and cold, from −20 °F to 120 °F?
- Answer: Camels have a reputation for being desert animals, and some are able to exist in both extremes of temperature. Bactrian camels (the two-humped variety) have adapted to the tremendous heat of China’s Gobi Desert as well as the bitter cold of the Mongolian steppes.
- Question: The tiniest animal with a backbone is a what?
- Answer: On average, the tiny frog Paedophryne amauensis measures only 7.7 millimeters long.
- Question: Growing up to 59 feet (18 meters) long, which is the world’s largest living fish?
- Answer: The whale shark is the largest fish alive today. It can grow up to 18 meters long. That is about 1,800 times longer than the smallest fish, Paedocypris progenetica, whose maximum length is only about 10 millimeters.
- Question: Which of these “fish” is actually a fish?
- Answer: Jellyfish are technically plankton, and starfish are echinoderms. Both are invertebrates (lacking backbones), and neither are fish. Some scientists prefer the terms jellies and sea stars, respectively, to avoid confusion. Crayfish are crustaceans closely related to lobsters.
- Question: The largest “town” home to what animal was an underground colony measuring 25,000 square miles, found in Texas?
- Answer: Prairie dogs are actually a type of squirrel, not canine. Many different extended families of prairie dogs live together in the same “town,” usually about 247 acres (0.4 square mile) in size. An estimated 400 million prairie dogs lived in the record-setting colony discovered in Texas.
- Question: An individual animal of which type was found to be at least 272 years old, suggesting that its type includes the world’s longest-living vertebrate?
- Answer: Thanks to a slow metabolism adapted to the cold deep waters it inhabits, the Greenland shark is thought to be able to live up to 500 years.
- Question: What gives flamingos their pink color?
- Answer: Flamingos get their pink (or red or orange) color from carotenoids, pigments found in the algae, larvae, and shrimp that they eat.
- Question: A rattlesnake’s rattle is made of the same material as what human body part?
- Answer: Rattlesnake skin contains keratin, the same protein that makes human fingernails. Each time a rattlesnake sheds its skin, keratin collects at the tip of the tail, growing the rattle.
Save your scores! Login before you play.